5 Nutritious Treats For Your Pet
The next time you’re out on a walk with your pet, instead of reaching for the store-bought treats that may be fattening for them, try reaching for some common household treats that are both nutritious and tasty! A common problem among pet owners is giving their pets too many treats that can be unhealthy. This can lead to the pet gaining excess weight and even becoming obese. Treats can be a great incentive to train your pet and reward them for good behavior, so giving them the right ones is key. Here are 5 nutritious and low-calorie treats for your pet:
- Apples: These fruits contain vitamin C, fiber, calcium, and a host of other nutrients that are great for your pet. Cut them into smaller pieces so they’re easy to chew.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are low in calories and have antioxidants that support the overall immune system, helping your pet fight off potential illnesses.
- Sweet potato: Sweet potatoes are low in fat and rich in vitamins A, B6, C, calcium, and more. You can prepare them by cooking them thoroughly and removing the skin. Since sweet potatoes are carb-heavy, don’t use them as a main source of nutrition in your pet’s diet.
- Carrots: These treats are excellent low-calorie options to treat your pet with. They are packed with nutrients and have the additional benefit of being hard and crunchy, making them great for your pet’s teeth!
- Strawberries: These berries are fiber rich and are high in vitamin C. They also contain an enzyme that helps whiten your pet’s teeth.
In general, giving your pet vegetables or fruits can be a fun, healthy alternative to store-bought treats . Be sure to give treats in moderation, as fruits contain a high amount of sugar. Additionally, be sure to avoid giving your pet anything that could be harmful, such asonions, garlic, and mushrooms.. Ask your vet if you have questions on which foods you can safely give to your pet.
Treats Are A Great Training Tool. We Can Help Train Your Pet!
Treats are great incentives for your pet, particularly when you’re teaching them new tricks or trying to promote positive behavior. An out-of-control pooch is no fun to walk, and constantly cleaning up after your destructive four-legged roommate is getting tiresome. Fortunately for the dogs in the Potomac, Bethesda, Washington DC, Arlington, Alexandria, and surrounding areas, Life of Riley Rockville offers a variety of training options to turn your pup into a well-behaved companion. Contact us for more details!
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.